The BIRTH CHART - Janampatri (Kundali / Horoscope) personifies the accumulated Karmas (actions) of a manís previous birth. Just as a huge Banyan tree is culminated in its roots, similarly, the birth chart shows the Karmas man has committed in his previous births. A man faces the consequences (Joys and Sorrows) of those accumulated Karmas and destiny in his present life, which can be compared with a boat, with the help of his actions of the present birth, which is like the helm of the boat.
So the BIRTH CHART (Janam Kundli) gives information regarding fate and destiny. It is possible to make slight changes in the consequences of the unforeseen actions committed in oneís previous birth, by doing appropriate Karmas in the present birth. The chief use of the Birth Chart is to have knowledge of the unforeseen, and rectify the actions accordingly. We can change the course of the misfortune, if we have the prior knowledge of our destiny. But if the intensity of the unforeseen Karmas of the previous birth is stronger, one is sure to face its consequences, and one cannot change it. Similarly, if the Karmas of the present birth are stronger (Pious and good actions), the unforeseen accumulated Karmas of the previous birth, will not be able to have an effect on the present life.
While preparing the Birth Chart, three facts are required-
1) Birth time
2) Date of Birth
3) Place of Birth
Suppose, a child takes birth in Mumbai on 17/7/2000 at 2.20 afternoon. Now first of all, we find out the 'ISHTA GHANTA' (Desired-Hour). The method of finding out the ISHTA GHANTA is as follows:
Time of birth Ė Sunrise Time = ISHTA GHANTA
Time of Birth = 2.20 = 14.20
Time of Sunrise = 6.11
Ishta Ghanta = 8.9
By multiplying the Ishta Ghanta with 21/2 we get Ishta Ghati, So
Ishta Ghanta x 2 Ĺ = Ishta Ghati
8.9 x 21/2 = 22.25
According to the 'Panchang', the position of the Sun in degrees was 3-00-51-48
Now if we look at the LAGNA CHART of Mumbai in front of the zodiac sign Cancer column and below 00 degree we get Ė
adding Ishta Ghanta to it
+ 8 Ė 09
Again, observing the MUMBAI PANCHANG in front of 14-04, we get it in LIBRA under 23 degree. Therefore our conclusion is that, the Lagna at the time of birth was Libra. The positions of the planets regarding zodiacs on that day were as under-
LAGNA - LIBRA
SUN - CANCER
MOON - CAPRICORN
MARS - GEMINI
VENUS - CANCER
RAHU - CANCER
KETU - CAPRICORN
LAGNA CHART (ASCENDANT CHART)
The Birth Chart (Janma Patree) is divided into 12 parts (or houses) and each part is named as under
1. PRATHAMA BHAVA (1st House)
2. DWITIYA BHAVA (2nd House)
3. TRITIYA BHAVA (3rd House)
4. CHATURTHA BHAVA (4th House)
5. PANCHAMA BHAVA (5th House)
6. SHASHTHA BHAVA (6th House)
7. SAPTAMA BHAVA (7th House)
8. ASHTAM BHAVA (8th House)
9. NAVAM BHAVA (9th House)
10. DASHAM BHAVA (10th House)
11. EKADASH BHAVA (11th House)
12. DWADASH BHAVA (12th House)
In 'Phalit Astrology' (a branch of Astrology), they are given different names which are as under -
Again there are twelve different names given to each BHAVA they are shown below
The above mentioned twelve Bhavas give the following information:
1) PRATHAMA BHAVA (1st House) - This Bhava is associated with the body i.e. bodyís colour, figure, quality, fame, place, joy, sorrow, tour, strength, weakness, beauty, characteristics or signs and aura of the person. The Sun effects this first Bhava.
2) DWITIYA BHAVA (2ND House) : This Bhava is called 'DHANA BHAVA' because it is connected with wealth. Jupiter is the planet having effect on this BHAVA. Wealth, eyes (especially the right eye), mouth, family, aunt, (Motherís sister), maternal uncle, friendship, food items, matter, the right-hand side parts of the body, general education, and buying and selling are concerned with this BHAVA. Mars is ineffective if situated in this BHAVA.
3) TRITIYA BHAVA (3rd House): This BHAVA is also named as 'SAHAJA BHAVA'. It is concerned with the following things Ė younger brother, younger sister, bravery, valour, patience, sperm, bones, neck & throat, ears, clothes, servants, medicines etc. Mars is the main planet having effect on this BHAVA.
4) CHATURTHA BHAVA (4th House) : This is also called 'SUKHA BHAVA'. Things concerned with this BHAVA, are knowledge & learning, mother, property, pleasure of having vehicles, friends, fortune of receiving king's or ruler's favour, house, fatherís wealth, fragrance, morality, religiousness and bravery.
The Moon is the main planet affecting this BHAVA. Mercury is ineffective in this BHAVA.
5) PANCHAMA BHAVA (5th House) : This is also called 'PUTRA (SON) BHAVA'. It is concerned with devotion to God, son, intelligence, virtuous actions, knowledge of the self, heart, stomach area, power of judgement etc. Jupiter is the main planet having effect on this Bhava. In some conditions, Jupiter is ineffective.
6) SHASHTHA BHAVA (6th House) : This Bhava has also been named as 'RIPU (Enemy) Bhava'. There are negative effects of this BHAVA. It is concerned with enemy, loss, quarrel, hurdles, debt, diseases, theft, wounds, maternal uncle, husband of motherís sister, motherís sister, navel and stomach areas. The main planets having effect on this BHAVA are Saturn and Mars while Venus is ineffective in this Bhava.
7) SAPTAMA BHAVA (7TH House) : This Bhava is also called 'PATNI (wife) Bhava'. It is concerned with wife, husband, marriage, brother, son, departure, regaining lost wealth, knowledge, authority, commerce etc.
Venus is the main planet affecting this Bhava. The Saturn is ineffective in this Bhava.
8) ASHTAMA BHAVA (8th House) : This Bhava has also been named 'MRITYU (Death) Bhava'. As the name implies, it is concerned with death i.e. age, life, death, the cause of death, place of death. It is also concerned with the pleasures of food, high rank, victory, defeat, eldest son of the sister, genitals and sense organs. Saturn effects this Bhava with full force.
9) NAVAM BHAVA (9th House) : This is called 'Dharma (Religion) Bhava'. This Bhava is concerned with religious ceremonies, penance, favour received from teacher, pilgrimage, finance, rheumatism, grandchildren, wealth, leadership qualities and the public. Sun is the main planet having effect on this Bhava. Jupiter also effects this Bhava.
10) DASHAMA BHAVA (10th House) : This Bhava is called 'Karma (Action) Bhava'. It is concerned with authority, respect, business, agriculture, awards, foreign tours, virtuous actions according to the ways described in the Vedas. Renouncement of worldly life, fame as a result of expertise in science, clothes, ornaments, sleep, knees and thighs. The planets affecting this Bhava are Jupiter, Sun, Mercury and Saturn.
11) EKADASH BHAVA (11th House) : This Bhava has also been named as 'AAY (Income) Bhava'. This is concerned with gains and profits of commodities, money, elder brother, elder sister, younger brotherís son, friends, left ear and ornaments worn in ears etc. Jupiter is the main planet having effect on this Bhava.
12) DWADASHA BHAVA (12th House) : Another name of this Bhava is 'Jaya (victory) Bhava'. It is concerned with travel, charity, expense, hell, fear of losing organs of the body, left eye, pleasure of sleep, royal punishment, fear of imprisonment, younger sisterís son, downfall etc.Saturn is the planet having effect on this Bhava.